Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the Katie Brown Educational Program?
The Katie Brown Educational Program (KBEP) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, educational organization, formed in 2001, that promotes respectful relationships by teaching relationship violence prevention. KBEP provides evidence-based prevention instruction to fourth grade through high school students, as well as teenagers and adults outside of the classroom. KBEP teaches healthy relationship skills to prevent violence by helping youth to identify and communicate difficult feelings in nonviolent ways and distinguish between healthy and unhealthy behavioral choices.
2) Who is Katie Brown?
Our program was founded in 2001, in response to the murder of Katherine “Katie” Brown, from Barrington, Rhode Island. Katie was 20 years old when she was killed by the young man she had dated on and off since high school. The Katie Brown Educational Program was created by friends of Katie’s family to memorialize her life and prevent future tragedies such as this from occurring.
1) What topics are discussed in your curriculum?
Students who participate in our school-based programming receive information on a variety of topics that address healthy relationships. Every class begins with a discussion topic include boundaries, self-respect, self-esteem, healthy conflict resolution, the exploration of gender stereotypes and gender roles, healthy dating expectations, and warning signs of violence.
2) Do you address sexual violence to 5th graders? Why and How?
We begin defining sexual violence as
3) Do you deliver your program outside of southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island?
4) Do you offer summer programming?
5) How much does your school-based programming cost?
6) Does KBEP offer workshops outside of schools?
7) How do I schedule a workshop
8) Can KBEP conduct an assembly at my school?
9) Who should I contact to schedule a workshop or in school programming?
10) Do you offer adult education opportunities?
1) Do you accept interns?
2) How can I volunteer?
3) I’m interested in working for KBEP. Where can I apply?
How you can help
1) I’d like to learn more about volunteer opportunities
2) I would like to donate! Who should I contact?
3) What types of donations do you accept?
1) Do you offer support services, including counseling, safe housing, etc?
2) Do you offer direct services to victims of domestic violence
3) Do we have any resources to offer children that have parents in violent relationships?
1) Who should I contact regarding press opportunities?
2) How can I subscribe/unsubscribe from email updates?
3) What’s the best way to learn about upcoming events at KBEP?